Asante currently grows acrops for use as essential oils and for food. It is ginger. We own our own farms and work with hundreds of outgrowers who learn proper farming techniques from Asante demonstration farms and grow these crops alongside us. We only grow crops where we have ready international markets with high demand and high value. Farmers can increase their income over 5 times growing these cash crops compared to growing maize and beans which they have traditionally grown. Much of the small-holder farmer land is idle which can be fully utilized to grow these valuable cash crops.
CO-IMPACT SOURCING: A SOLUTION FOR FARMERS
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled (by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, root, seeds, or fruit of a plant.
Major uses of essential oils include:
- Personal Care
WHY ARE ESSENTIAL OILS ESSENTIAL?
- Antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial
- By-pass digestive system
- No need to refrigerate, they are concentrated and have the longest shelf-life of any plant
- Highly oxygenating. Disease cannot exist with oxygen in the same environment
ESSENTIAL OILS AND AFRICA: THE PERFECT COMBINATION
- Essential oil farming is labor and land intensive. Africa labor is amongst the cheapest in the world. Land is abundant and underutilized on the south coast of Kenya
- Gender aspects: Being high value and low weight, essential oil plants’ farming provides enormous potential to improve lives for rural women
- The tropical climate favors most essential oil plants. Cool nights and clear hot days are imperatives for world-class quality oil. The rain on the coast of Kenya ideal for many essential oil plants